Chapman Consulting has been working with businesses on their strategic planning since 2016. In many cases, our Business Planning Workshop is the next stage in the client’s journey with us, following the Strategic Business Development Review (SBDR).
This dynamic, high-impact one-day workshop is centered around the Orbit Strategic Planning tool, thought to be first developed by Grant Thornton in the 1980’s, as part of the ‘Growth Accelerator Programme.’
Ultimately this session enables businesses to articulate the strategy and content required to write a robust business plan (usually 3-year). We have carried out Orbit Planning Workshops for many confidential clients operating in the Property & Construction industry, and each provided a unique set of challenges.
Orbit Planning Workshop
Clients and Challenges
Successful workshops from the last two years include:
- The London cost consultancy division of an international property consultancy. Post Covid lockdown, the workshop doubled as a team-building exercise for 18 senior personnel covering 7 key sectors. This was a complex undertaking, requiring an approach that enabled each sector’s unique circumstances to be considered individually, whilst engendering collective responsibility for the delivering the division’s 3-year plan.
- An established, UK project management business operating across the south east and south west. The workshop was fully planned to take place at an off-site venue, however, due to the first Covid lockdown, at short notice we pivoted to manage the whole workshop via Zoom, including the use of virtual breakout rooms.
- An energy services provider, providing building management and energy monitoring solutions to the retail and commercial sectors. This successful but relatively small and younger business was embarking on an ambitious plan to accelerate growth.
- An international building contractor with a strong track record in south-eastern Europe, looking to build upon the success of its first project in London. Discussions raised a number of challenges round adapting the company’s approach to the UK market, in which there had been very little marketing or brand awareness.
- A London-based ironmongery, security and hardware business, with retail outlets and a well-respected service within the architectural specifications market. In essence this involved the completion of the Orbit process for four separate, but overlapping, divisions.
In all cases we have delivered a comprehensive outcome report, confirming that objectives for the day have been met, a completed Orbit diagram covering all key considerations for the business plan, and further actions required by the client to complete the plan.
Although the Orbit tool is central to business planning in all our workshops, the sessions often take into account other strategic marketing, internal communications or organisational development objectives for our clients in the day’s programme. The size of our clients’ businesses and their specialisms vary widely, but we pride ourselves in our flexibility, versatility, business planning expertise and industry experience. These enable us to deliver workshops that, without exception, bring clarity of direction to businesses and are truly memorable for participants.
This is borne out by the outstanding feedback and scores we have received within workshop evaluation forms, which cover the relevance of the day in relation to job roles, the quality of the facilitators, materials, and venue. Some of this feedback can be seen below.
Almost all the businesses that have participated in our business planning workshops have become retained clients, for whom we have delivered a programme of marketing and business development support over two years or more.
out in the last 2 years
experience of the workshop's facilitators